24/10/2013

YAYA TOURE DEMANDED UEFA SHUT DOWN CSKA MOSCOW’S STADIUM AFTER SUFFERING RACIST ABUSE

                         

Yaya Touré has called on Uefa to take tough action against CSKA Moscow, including the possibility of closing their stadium for a couple of years, after sections of the Russian club's supporters subjected the Manchester City captain to racist abuse on Wednesday night. The monkey chants, which Touré reported to the referee during the game, overshadowed a crucial 2-1 victory for Manuel Pellegrini's side. 

Touré was visibly upset after the match and made it clear that Uefa needs to adopt a strong stance to stamp out behaviour which he described as "stupid" and "very, very sad". A spokesperson for City confirmed the club had lodged a complaint with the Uefa delegate at the match and will follow that up in writing. Uefa is also aware that the referee has mentioned Touré's complaints in his report.

"I'm not just disappointed, I'm furious," Touré said. "I'm very, very disappointed about what those fans have done today and I think Uefa have to take action because players with the same colour of skin will always be in the same position. For me, as captain, I was wearing an armband which said 'No to racism' and I was totally disappointed.

"I want to see Uefa do something and take some action. We have to be as strong as possible, otherwise they will continue like that. Maybe they could ban the stadium, I don't know, for a couple of years or a couple of months."

Touré added: "The club may say they have to educate the fans but I think it's enough; too much is too much. We have to stop it now. It's stupid these people. I don't know, it just happens in football. It's unbelievable. Uefa have to take action to right it, otherwise they will just continue."

Pellegrini did not hear the chants aimed at Touré but the City manager was made aware of the incidents after the match. "I didn't know what happened. Someone just told me there were some shouts against our player, it is a pity that we still have those stupid things," he said. "I hope that the right message can be put out. It's a pity for Yaya and a pity for the city [of Moscow]."

Under Uefa guidelines the referee, Ovidiu Hategan, should have stopped the match and asked for a message to be relayed on the public address demanding the racist behaviour stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment