16/11/2014

LATIFU :My adventure in Norway

  Akeem Latifu

Norwegian League has been a living home of many young promising players like Akeem Latifu, a former U-20 World Cup player in Canada 2007 FIFA World Cup. Despite the Flying Eagles poor outing, he was regarded as Nigeria’s outstanding player with his versatility at the right full back. In 2010, he moved to Norway and hopes to be a top star like John Mikel Obi, Chinedu Obasi. Obviously, he still has the world at his feet at 24-years currently playing for Aalesund in the Norwegian top league, he spoke with Morakinyo Abodunrin.

My humble beginning
I can trace my career back on the street of Port-Harcourt though I was born and bred in Jos where all my dreams came alive.  I started my career under the badge of Bussdor Football Club. Football was easy for me because that was the only thing I always believed I could use to feed myself.
I never thought of being a doctor or any other academic profession. But I must acknowledge my parent for giving me the green light. It couldn’t have been easy for me if they had stopped me since I would have obeyed them, but when I told them my intention and they gave me their blessing, I was picked for U-20 World Cup in Canada 2007. It was a miraculous invitation. I was picked from Bussdor FC and I have not looked back since then.

Memory from Canada 2007 World Cup
My invitation was by chance because I was not playing for any big club nor for a Nigeria premier league side. But despite the fact that was picked from amateur club, I was able to convince Coach Ladan Bosso that I can be a living star if I had my chance at the World Cup. I enjoyed myself at the World Cup, though we were not lucky enough against Chile. But personally, it was a wonderful tournament to acquire knowledge and that has exposed me to a lot of things till this moment. I have been able to live from that past memory of representing Nigeria at youth level. I am very much contented with what I am doing at the moment in Norway.

A stint in Nigeria league after Canada
After we came back from Canada, I joined Akwa United, and then later on I moved to Wikki Tourist of Bauchi before I ended my Nigeria league journey at Ocean Boys of Yenogoa. I really appreciated all my move after my experience in Canada. Why I decided to play in the Nigerian league was because of proper exposure which I calmly gained before I moved to Norway.

Norway, my home…Nigeria, my country
Before the tournament in Canada, my dream had always been to kick start my career in Norway. I had always been following Nigerian players in Norway and almost all of them moved higher in their career. When I was in Bussdor FC, my dream was to move to Norway. Some of my mates then thought I should be dreaming of moving to England or Spain, but my attitude towards life is that I always believe in step-by-step approach. I was best assured that regular first team shirt was certain in Norway because I always believe in my ability. It will be difficult for any coach to put me on the bench; I always believe in myself and I don’t run away from challenges. I could remember when I first moved to Norway and there was a certain player vying for the same position. The guy was actually good but when I noticed what made him better, I quickly learn that from him and I started giving him a fight for the shirt; at last I got the shirt.

Life in Norway
To be honest with you, it has been wonderful with me and my family here. The Norwegians are really accommodating in terms of living in their country. I am living my life in a very polite way that goes with the rules in the country. I can easily tell you that I find happiness here every day because my family live with me here and I try as much not to move beyond my boundary. I am really enjoying myself and that’s why I am not in hurry to move for now because we have really settled down here. I am more or less like a Norwegian because I have been into their lifestyle but I can’t forget my grand-home, Nigeria.

Outstanding player in the league.
The secret is that I fight a lot on the pitch but I never know people notice me in every game; I do set some target for myself. As a right back, sometimes you face some tough players hoping to use your position, but in my own case, I try to give myself a target that this guy will not take my wing, there must be war! I never knew those things work for me. I was just trying to prove myself that I can be better than somebody I look up to. When I said I am enjoying my life in Norway, it’s not only by living but on the pitch. Life has been easy because I give my best to all the clubs I have played for. My dream still remains intact that I will join the number of Nigerian players that have passed through Norway and become great stars. I will not rush anything, but it will come true one day. I have never regretted my decision to play here and I have played for three clubs. They all love to work with me. Apart from that, there are lots of Nigerian players doing well in the league; the likes of Daniel Chima of Molde, James Leke, my club mate, even John Chibuike who recently left Rosenborg to Turkey. I am really happy that our national team coaches are trying to bring players from every league to represent Nigeria and I believe, one day, I will star for the Super Eagles in the right position.

Ripe for Super Eagles’ shirt
I have come to understand that getting a shirt in the Super Eagles is really difficult. At times, my heart beat whenever I think I can do better in the team. I do ask myself if I can ever be given a chance to prove myself in the right full back. I am not trying to blow my trumpet, but I believe I am ripe enough to fight for a place in the national team if the Norwegian league is recognised in the national team. I am not saying I am better than those who are there, but I think with my consistent playing time here, I can really do better and prove myself.

My role model
Dani Alves is my Idol, but at the moment I am working extraordinarily to be better than him. He’s a great player. I adopted some things from him ever since his days in Sevilla. I can’t wait to be better than him because I have already set my target and, by the Grace of God, I will fulfil it.

Life as dotting daddy
I am happily married with three kids; a boy and twin girls. Having my children as well as my wife around me was my biggest pleasure. It helps me a lot. It makes life more complete for me because I always live with the joy of being a family man. I have a complete life being a father, and my wife has been the secret of everything. She has been so wonderful and faithful in my career. So I love being a father as well as being a footballer.

The love of my life
My wife is my inspiration; I don’t really see her as a wife, per se, but a faithful mother. I met my wife when I was nothing. We lived very close to each other in Port-Harcourt and we dated for long. What I noticed about her was that she never looked at my position then because I was not giving her money. I never promised her anything but stuck with me. She advised me a lot and many times found a solution to my problem and that is why I said she’s a mother not wife. My wife does not like tribalism and she is from Akwa Ibom and I am from Osun State and despite that, we have been living joyfully.

My lifestyle
I love a simple and moderate life. I believe in hard work. I love exotic cars like Honda and Benz. In terms of meal, my wife has made me to like pounded yam and egusi soup; she prepares that for me often. In terms of dressing, I am a good dresser; I love smartness. I am a Port-Harcourt boy, so I know how to dress like a gentleman. You can always see me with a smart dress and simple outfit. Though I am a footballer, I don’t dress like a gangster. And finally, I love Gucci designs.


Credit: The Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment